The SC Stays housing assistance program will provide low-income residents up to six months (or $7,500) of rent or mortgage payments for eligible applicants. The application period is currently open, and applications can be submitted to SC Stays online at scstay.org or over the phone at 833-985-2929. Assistance will be provided until program funds ($25 million) are exhausted. Applications will be processed as they are received.
- Applicants must certify that they are eligible; their income must be at or below 80% of the county median, adjusted by family size
- Applicants need to demonstrate that they are unable to pay all or part of their rent or mortgage or are behind on payments as a result of COVID-19. Examples include:
- lost wages because of layoff
- reduced hours based on staff reduction
- inability to work because of COVID-19 infection
- Landlord or lender must confirm past due status and be willing to accept payment on behalf of the applicant.
- Rental and mortgage assistance payments will be made by SC Housing directly to the landlord or mortgage lender.